UNFINISHED PROJECT CARS FOR SALE – FOOSE CARS FOR SALE.
Unfinished Project Cars For Sale
- project cars
- (Project Car) One that is in restorable condition.
- (of an object) Not having been given an attractive surface appearance as the final stage of manufacture
- Not finished or concluded; incomplete
- not brought to the desired final state
- bare: lacking a surface finish such as paint; "bare wood"; "unfinished furniture"
- not brought to an end or conclusion; "unfinished business"; "the building is still unfinished"
- for sale
- purchasable: available for purchase; "purchasable goods"; "many houses in the area are for sale"
- For Sale is the fifth album by German pop band Fool's Garden, released in 2000.
- For Sale is a tour EP by Say Anything. It contains 3 songs from …Is a Real Boy and 2 additional b-sides that were left off the album.
Like other titles in the “101″ series, this book spells out a wealth of do-it-yourself projects for the performance-hungry muscle car owner. The book presents detailed coverage of procedures performed on specific GM cars of the muscle car era. These are projects that can realistically be done by a detail-minded shade tree mechanic rather than requiring master builder skills and tools. Engine, transmission, and suspension performance modifications are covered in detail, as are cosmetic steps such as interior and sheet metal restoration.
Bristol’s council house- building – which really got into its stride in the 1920s – marked a complete break from the style and layout of the old, privately-built neighbourhoods like Bedminster and Easton. These low-density, cottage-type houses – built in pairs or short rows with sizeable gardens – contrasted strongly with the old Victorian terraces. These municipally-built properties were generally of better quality than anything that could be offered to families in the private rented sector and, indeed, were often superior to affordable owner-occupied housing.
The growth of Victorian Bristol had gone largely unplanned and this led to high-density neighbourhoods – such as the infamous courts – where many people dwelt in grossly overcrowded, and often insanitary, conditions. Local councils had the authority to build houses for the needy but most chose not to – they preferred to leave it to private developers. This seemed to work well enough – until the late-Victorian building boom ran out of steam just after the turn of the last century It didn’t recover for some 20 years, but despite this the Corporation was reluctant to become directly involved in housing issues. But, from 1905, and in the years leading up to the First World War, it was decided to build 70 or so tenement-type dwellings. Located in Fox Road, Mina Road (some still remain), Chapel Street, Braggs Lane, Millpond Avenue and Fishponds Road, they were used to rehouse people displaced by road- improvement schemes.
The Great War changed everything. Construction work virtually ground to a halt and, in the general election of 1918, housing became a hot potato, giving rise to Lloyd George’s famous promise that he would build ‘homes fit for heroes’. Local authorities, so reluctant to act in the past, were suddenly thrust into the forefront. In Bristol, where the housing shortage was estimated at 8,000, a committee was soon set up. This body initially considered building five ‘village suburbs’ – in Bedminster, Fishponds, Horfield, Westbury and St George, but, in the end, decided to construct just 5,000 estate homes. Although the 700 acres needed were soon purchased, building work couldn’t start until the Government resolved the thorny question of subsidies.
During a period of high costs this was the only way houses could be built but still let out at affordable rents. An Act the following year introduced a generous subsidy arrangement – costs being shared between tenants, rate-payers and the Treasury This practical, three-way approach to finances, was to survive for more than 60 years. Work soon began in earnest on four estates – Hillfields at Fishponds, Knowle West, Shirehampton and Sea Mills – and in the summer of 1920 the first tenants moved into newly completed houses in Hillfields’ Beechen Drive. Costs, compared with the much cheaper pre-war years, were very high and this inevitably gave rise to rents that were considered expensive at the time.
Large contracts were awarded to reputable local firms Cowlin and Wilkins and the quality of building was excellent. Many of these dwellings were ‘parlour houses’, which meant that they had two living rooms, a mark of status at the time. In Hillfields more than 70 per cent had parlours. In these early years council housing was meant for ordinary workers and their families, but of course incomes varied, and those who were offered higher rent houses tended to be the ones who could afford it. In later years the council came under increasing pressure to build cheaper and smaller homes that could be let to lower income families.
To manage these estates the Corporation introduced a system of weekly door-to-door rent collection. In 1936 it was reported that, although a third of tenants were in arrears, in the last 16 years only one penny in every ?100 of rent due had failed to be collected. The 1919 legislation came to a close two years later and this meant that the Corporation had only been able to complete just over 1,000 of its planned 5,000 homes. But new Housing Acts soon provided further opportunities and another 9,000 houses were constructed during the next decade.
The early estates were finally completed and new ones started at Horfield, Bedminster Down, St Anne’s, St George (Speedwell) and Southmead. Yet another Act, in 1930, required authorities to draw up plans for slum clearance, and under this legislation Bristol built more than 3,000 houses. Hillfields was the biggest of the early estates, but the largest overall were at Bedminster and Knowle, which eventually grew to more than 6,000 houses with a population of more than 27,000 – as big as a small town. A report in the late 1930s noted: ‘At Knowle Park are (to be found) the expensive 1919 and 1923 Act houses… and the more prosperous tenants. Next comes a wide band of 1924 Act houses at somewhat lower rents. Filwood Park … contains large numbers of slum cleara
The Fitzgerald/Ginsberg Mansion is a rare 1920s, picturesque Tudor Revival style mansion in Flushing, Queens designed by architect John Oakman. Constructed in 1924, it features rusticated, irregularly shaped fieldstone walls, a multi-colored slate roof, casement and leaded glass windows, and picturesque massing. Large, suburban picturesque revival-style houses from the 1920s were at one time prevalent throughout New York City’s affluent residential outer neighborhoods, but have become increasingly rare. The Fitzgerald house is one of the last great mansions from this period still standing in Flushing.
The house represents the affluence and optimism of the 1920s. It was built immediately adjacent to an extension of Flushing’s Old Country Club and its golf course – a typical suburban pattern of those years. The Old Country Club, founded in 1887, built its golf course in 1902. It is credited as being one of the oldest private country clubs in the United States. The club house and golf course have since been demolished.
The architect of the house, John Oakman worked for Carrere & Hastings and then formed a partnership with W. Powell before starting his own practice in 1909, specializing in picturesque single family houses. The house was built for Charles and Florence Fitzgerald, who sold it in 1926 to Ethel and Morris Ginsberg. Ginsberg made his fortune as part of a family-owned business supplying sash, door and wooden trim for builders. The firm was considered to be one of the leaders in this field in the Long Island region. The Ginsberg family lived in the house for over seventy years.
DESCRIPTION AND ANALYSIS
The Development of Flushing
One of the oldest settlements within what is now the City of New York – and together with Newtown and Jamaica one of the three colonial settlements now comprising the borough of Queens – Flushing traces its roots to English settlers who received a patent in 1654 from Pieter Stuyvesant, governor of the Dutch colony. Early in the town’s history, Flushing residents stood together in support of a local Quaker community against the religious intolerance of Governor Stuyvesant. They lost the immediate battle, but their “Flushing Remonstrance” of 1657 stands as one of the earliest published defenses of religious freedom in the United States.
During the 17th century, Flushing began to develop as a major center for horticulture, an industry brought to the town by French Huguenots who imported fruit trees not native to the country. William Prince established Flushing’s first profitable nursery as early as 1737. In 1838, Samuel Parsons established a nursery that introduced to the United States such plants as the Asiatic rhododendron, the Japanese maple, the Valencia orange, and the weeping beech. Parsons’ nursery also provided trees for the city’s first public parks, including Central Park and Prospect Park.
As in the rest of Queens County, Flushing’s fortunes evolved with improvements in transportation. The introduction of regular train service to New York City in 1854 led to a post-Civil War boom in luxury house construction for wealthy New Yorkers. The extension of trolley lines into Flushing from 1888 to 1899, and the electrification of the Long Island Rail Road, helped turn Flushing into a commuter suburb. With the consolidation of Greater New York in 1898, Flushing became part of the new Borough of Queens.
From the 1890s until the outbreak of World War I, Flushing’s estates were divided up into new suburban developments including Ingleside, Murray Hill, Broadway-Flushing, Bowne Park, Kissena, and Queensborough Hill. Perhaps the biggest impetus to the growth of Flushing in particular and Queens in general was the opening in 1909 of the Queensborough Bridge connecting Queens with midtown Manhattan, followed by the extension of the IRT into the borough during the late 1910s. Over the next two decades, the population of Queens mushroomed by 750%. The boom continued well into the 1920s.
Flushing participated heavily in the borough’s growth, developing as a series of suburban neighborhoods surrounding a town center on Northern Boulevard. In 1910, just a year after the opening of the Queensborough Bridge, the Business Men’s Association of Flushing published Flushing: The Premier Suburban Colony of the City of New York, a typical booster book touting the suburban advantages of Flushing life:
Flushing has long waited to come into its own. Thousands of people who have enjoyed the luxuries of living in a community like this, where the home life, the social life, and the religious life are at their best, where rowing, yachting, fishing, tennis, golfing, baseball, driving, motoring, and other outdoor amusements are easy at hand and universally indulged in, have in the past found homes in Flushing, regardless of its inaccessibility to Manhattan. These people have preferred t